Media evaluation
Overall I think that my research skills on this task were OK but they could have been better as they were not unto a professional standard as it would be in GQ magazine, but in my magazine I did ad a lot of facts and figures about music piracy from quite a few reliable and reputable sources like the guardian and the BPI. A weakness In my research skill is that sometimes I cannot find or try hard enough to find an exact value, like the number of music illegally downloaded per day so I got a value for the number of songs illegally downloaded in 6 months and divided it by the number of days and used that value instead, which is not as accurate as an exact value and reliable enough as a value found on a source. the main strength in my research skills is that I use a lot of sources that are reliable.
My journalistic skills were not up to a standard of which I expected and also the standard in which GQ magazine will accept to be published. My writing skills were bad as I did not use many writing techniques and also my language is a bit childish. My article was aimed at men aged 18 to 25 and so the quality of language in my article would not suit the target audience. I did try and use a thesaurus to look for more professional word for some of the word I was going to use. A strength in my journalistic and writing skill is that my paragraphs were well structured and also the article had a nice flow the positives and the negative were all separated and evidence was give as well as a quote from an artist for both good and bad points. A weakness in my journalistic skills and writing skills is that the quality of the language was not good, I could have done better. Another weakness is that my article was full of facts and figures it had lacked opinions from me as this article was made for the audience about my thoughts and opinions on the topic, the article did not have a side either agreeing or disagreeing with the topic it was more neutral on the topic it had the same amount of positive and negative points.
I think my layout and my overall product is really good for a person who used in design for the first time I learnt hoe to make text boxes, columns add pictures resize the pictures, I tried to make it look as professional ass possible, I received a comment on my blog about the article they said that my layout was good and clear but I could have added some colour to the article to make it look better and in GQ magazine the background of the page has a faint grey colour which could have made my magazine look more professional. My strengths in In Design is that I can create a good looking layout that looks professional but I have a lot of weakness in In Design as I have only used it once a lack creativity because I don’t know how to use all the tools and all the feature it has.
My web publishing skills are really good, it was the first time I have ever used Blogger an I already have the hang of it I know how to add a screen shot, how to upload my In Design work and also talk about the screen shot saying what I have achieved today/ this lesson. my strengths of web publishing is that I can use most of the features but my weakness is that I could blog more often/ even unfinished work I could blog to show what I have achieved every lesson.
The feedback I received form the audience was really good they gave me both negative and positive points, why my article was good and also how I could have improved it. They told me that my layout was really good it was clear and that the use of advertisement was really good which made it look professional. they also said that I could have added some more colour which I believe in also that adding some more colour to my magazine could have made it look more professional as the magazine usually has more colour on their pages or even some more picture because GQ magazine usually has lots of picture or a really big picture that covers the whole 2 page spread.
Targets which I have set myself for improvements based on the weaknesses identified:
- Do more research so I can have more points and take more time when doing research.
- do more planning about how I am going to write for the audience what word am going to use how I am going to talk to the audience.
- in my article I should have both negative and positive points but I should have a side which I believe in and should talk more about it and explain why in the conclusion of the article.
- I should watch some videos on YouTube to learn how to use more tool and so I can learn more feature on In Design and so I can make my article look better and to a higher standard.
- I'm going to blog everything I do so at the end of every lesson am going to blog it even if it was a sentence so I can get into the habit of blogging all the time.
You are realistic about your weaknesses and strengths, although your comment on proof-reading could extend to this evaluation, which still has some careless mistakes! Always draft in Word.. You give some nice detail including technical language and specialist media terminology, and your targets are appropriate and specific. Overall a good quality evaluation. Vanessa
ReplyDelete