Monday, 13 October 2014

College magazine evaluation


                           College magazine evaluation

We were given a task to make the cover page and a contents page for a college magazine. I thought about what teenagers like me would want to read and how I would attract the reader. I used Photoshop to create the Cover for my magazine and In Design to create the contents page for my magazine.

Overall I think that my photography was not good, the quality of the pictures were good but the positioning the lighting and the way I took the photo could have been better. 'The images are relevant and eye catching' - Rohan Rama's Blogs, I believe that my cover picture was good especially with the orange background which was part of my colour scheme, the orange background attracts the reader. When I make my music magazine I would improve the images by taking better picture using more people and also using the studio to take better quality and professional pictures.

I used Photoshop to make my cover page for my magazine. I did not manipulate my image in any way whilst using the software, all I did was make images bigger and smaller. I did not edit the picture in any way. I could have made the picture look more professional by changing the brightness and the contrast which could have made it more attractive to the reader. When I make my music magazine I will take more pictures so I can choose the best ones to use in my magazine also I will edit images more like the picture is on top of the masthead and make the Image brighter and also edit out stuff in the picture that I don't need. by doing this the picture in my music magazine would be better and look more professional. 

Overall I think that my layout is really good because it is neat and tidy unlike other magazines that have a messy layout which I believe discourages the reader to pick it up and read it because there is too many thinks happening on it in one go. 'I like the way you've stuck to a clear structure'- Amna Ali . But when I make my music magazine I will have to make the layout suit someone who is a rock music fan and make it similar to other rock music magazine, by doing this my magazine will look better for the target audience but I also have to make it look neat so it doesn't discourage the reader/ buyer.

Overall I think that the fonts I used are really good because they stand out and they are clear, the fonts that I have used in the magazine are not too fancy and they make the magazine look professional by using standard fonts. But everyone who gave me feedback said The same thing your font is small and to make it bigger to attract the reader and to make it stand out also they said that to keep the fonts consistent throughout the two pages to make I more professional. Also I could stick to a colour scheme to make it more attractive and to make it look more professional. 'the colour scheme of your magazine I don't think it has be quite consistent from throughout and neither has the fonts' - Yaa Appiah. To make my music Magazine I would my text larger and more bold so it stands out an also I would make special or important text larger so it attracts the reader especially the pull quotes. Also I would use standard fonts but keep it the same throughout the magazine to make it consistent.

There was not much journalism in this piece of work but I could have written better pull quotes to entice the reader I could have also added better stories which everyone would enjoy nit just student who are interested in education or students who want to go to university. to make my music magazine better I am going to make the magazine suitable for everyone in the target audience.

I think that the layout of my contents page was good and clear but I could have written sub headings like features, sports, regulars and reviews this would make it easier for the student to directly go to a specific article. in my music magazine I am going to clearly label each article, is it a feature article, is it a regular article, is it a review etc. But overall I think that my In design skills has increased and become better from the first time I used it and I think that my layout on the contents page is neat and clear.

What I need to improve on:
§  I need to improve on my photography, I need to take more pictures
§  I need to take a wide range of photos
§  I need to use Photoshop to edit my images to make them look more professional
§  I need to make my text larger and bolder 
§  I need to make some things clear that will attract the reader like make pull quotes larger.
§  I should add a skyline to make the reader interested from the beginning
§  I should add articles that would attract everyone in the target audience

Key points I need to improve on:
§  I need to improve on my pictures I need to take better pictures as they are one of the most important things that attract the reader also I need to edit my pictures to make my pictures look professional.
§  I need to increase my text size and make them bolder to attract the reader I also need to increase the size of pull quotes because pull quotes build excitement and tension in the reader which contributes to them reading the magazine.
§  Another thing I need to improve on is make my articles suitable for everyone in my target audience not just a minute minority of the audience, to do this I am going to add cover lines from a wide range and type of articles on the cover page so there is at least an article for everyone if they font read an article there should be a different article that they would read.


1 comment:

  1. blog check #1: I enjoyed reading your blog Abul and all the tasks are on here, although the second parts of the case studies need to be improved- see my comments on those posts. You have posted fairly regularly, but there could be more evidence of reflecting throughout the process of the brief, with work in progress and more regular posts. Vanessa

    ReplyDelete