Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Evaluation Draft

                            Evaluation Draft
                    


1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My magazine is a rock/ alternative rock magazine. The case studies I used were NME and Kerrang. My music magazine uses, develops or challenges and conventions of real media products. Firstly Both NME and Kerrang took a medium shot of the cover star and so my magazine had a medium shot of my cover star on the cover page. Both NME and Kerrang had a skyline which I incorporated in my cover page. NME had a neater layout which I used and Kerrang had a messy layout which looked nice but I preferred the neater look so I challenged the messy look. NME had a white background which I used, both magazine stars faced the camera. In Kerrang the star was wearing a suit which I went against because I wanted everything to be natural because I wanted the reader to be able to relate to the reader and NME stars where wearing more normal/ everyday clothing. I used a 3 point lighting system, so the magazine stands out and it's not a dark cover page. I had a plain background but the cover star was wearing dark clothing and a top with a skull to reinforce the genre, both of my case studies have bold cover lines which I used in my cover page like ‘BLODDY HELL’ and ‘THE MUSIC THAT SAVE GERRARD WAY’S LIFE ‘. Cover star image on top of masthead.

I used some aspects of the contents page from both case studies first of all I used the fact that NME split the regulars and the features which I did and subtitles for the regulars which I used from Kerrang like reviews, other, concerts interviews etc. I challenged the fact that the magazines only used one page for the contents page I used 2 pages. Kerrang used many pictures in the magazine and NME used only one so I used Kerrang idea I used many pictures and also Kerrang used live in action images which I went against and NME used professional images so I used studio photography in the magazine and I used images from the location shooting in the contents page the location shooting had lots of graffiti to reinforce the genre I used Kerrang idea of an editor's note I used the idea of putting pull quotes on the features which both my case studies did but I challenged the use of pull quotes or little bit of information on the regulars because I didn’t want to overwhelm the reader I used the red and white used in NME in magazine because it stands out but it also goes with any genre of music and also  looks neat.

For the double page spread I used similar language techniques to both my case studies they used some slang and explicit language which I used as well to make it more suitable for the reader like in the NME article they said “It’ll definitely be bombastic” and in my magazine I said “I was told I had a fucking awesome voice”. Also both of my case studies used one picture on the DPS and the article on another section and I also used columns which was on Kerrang and put a pull quote on the DPS which both of my case studies used.

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?

The social groups of my magazine are teenagers both male and females but more males. I have represented the teenage social group by using slang in my article as well as Standard English. I also portrayed my social group in the clothing my cover star wore, the clothing he wore were normal everyday clothing’s that my social group will wear like black skinny jeans and hoodies with skull on them. Also the location shooting I did had a lot of graffiti which portrays the social group of teenagers because teenagers are into graffiti.




3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

Bauer already publish MOJO and Q which are much known and popular music magazine Q magazine is a mixture of every genre including urban, rap and also rock so Bauer wouldn’t publish my magazine. IPC media already publish NME which is a rock magazine/ alternative rock so they won't want to publish my magazine. Conde Naste don’t publish any music magazine most of their magazines are fashion so they might not publish my magazine but they also might publish my magazine because they don’t publish any music magazine. Nat Mag also don’t publish any music magazine so they might publish my magazine because they don’t publish any but also they might not because they don’t want to be in the music industry, I have chosen blaze publishers to publish and distribute my magazine because they don’t publish any alternative rock magazine also they would do sale and return so the magazines that don’t sell can be returned. They publish a magazine called drummer which is all about the drums the contents is similar to my magazine in which they help new and upcoming drummers but in my magazine I want to help new and upcoming artists. Also magazine they publish have an online version which they could do for my magazine as well, by doing this there would be a larger audience

4. Who would be the audience for your media product?

My audience would be both male and female 70% male and 30% female age 16-25. Their musical taste would be rock or alternative rock. Mostly UK artists but also some us artists. The location of the audience would be the UK. The social class for the magazine would be all social classes but maybe not the higher class people as the magazine is not prestigious for them.  The ethnicity of my magazine would be all ethnicities but mostly white people as a research showed that mostly white people listen to rock music.

5. How did you attract/address your audience?

I attracted the reader of my magazine by having a colour scheme throughout the magazine as told by Cengi “the colour scheme of red, black and white is continuous throughout the magazine". I think that keeping the colour scheme the same of the fonts similar throughout the magazine would give a sense of professionalism throughout the magazine which would make the reader want to buy the magazine. Rohan said that he likes the fact that I kept the fonts similar which makes the magazine nice and tidy also Cengi said that he likes the neat layout of the contents page. Also I asked many people what images they liked and would like to see on a front page of a magazine which helped me chose the right images which would attract a reader.

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have learnt how to use the Nikon ds7000 camera I have learnt about shutter speed and aperture. I have used Photoshop before but there were some features that I learnt how to use like the magic want tool also I have never used in design I learnt how to add images texts and so much more. I have learnt how to use blogger how to add images text videos and also embedding things like a time toast. Also I have learnt how to use prize how to add images and videos on Prezi. My editing skills have improved on in design comparing what I did for the college magazine and what I did for my final magazine.

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

In the preliminary task I said that I should take better pictures with a wide range of scenery so when taking pictures for my music magazine I used a DSLR camera and also my phone camera. I took images in the studio and various other places outside so when choosing images to put in my magazine I have a lot to choose from. Also I said that I should increase pull quotes size and add a skyline to attract the reader, so when I made my magazine I made the pull quotes larger and a skyline to attract the reader. I also said that I should make the article suitable for the target audience in my preliminary task my article was quite boring so my targets audience who are student would not read it because it is boring so when I made my music magazine I tried to ass some slang words make fun to read to the reader would enjoy it.


















No comments:

Post a Comment